Sunday, February 6, 2011

Por Kee Eating House

I had always enjoyed zi char with a bunch of people because we can always order a lot! And the plus point about it is that we don't have to pay a lot of money for the amount of food we order. (I'm comparing to shopping centers!) But of course, most of the zi char places are not in air-conditioned places. Well, there's nice breeze at times. =D
So, Por Kee eating house. I had no idea what is this and where is this until I was brought there. Haha. One look at the area, I have to say, I think it's probably quite a famous place. Just look at the crowd! My goodness. And the first question that the auntie asked was "did you had a reservation?". Oh wells, it has to be something goooood!


So, we ordered one of my must-order dish - toufu. Most zi char places offers home-made toufu which are really nice. What differentiates them is the way they cook it. I kinda like the way the toufu was cooked. The sauce made the bland toufu into something delicious. And I like to eat the sauce with my rice! Haha.


Another signature dish is the champagne pork ribs. My goodness. It's really good! Tender, flavorful. Yummy! But one sad thing is that, it's not easy to bite it off. So, I almost burned my tongue while trying to eat them up. Hehs.



A direct translation for this will be 3 cups chicken. Not that they used 3 cups of chicken, but more of the 3 different types of spices. My parents tried explaining to me what the 3 cups were. I'm so sorry. I really cannot understand all the chinese words that they are bombarding me with. Hahahaha! Well, the dish is nice, but I find it a little too oily for my liking. Hmmm.


Woah. My favorite vegetable. Haha. Okay. Not that the vegetable is my favorite. It's more of the way the vegetable was cooked is my favourite! They actually used fermented beancurd to cook it! I haven't really ate this kinda vegetable before! My mama told me that we cannot cook it at home because our stove is not hot enough to cook it nice. The waitress auntie agreed so whole-heartedly that I have to believe it and not try it at home. Haha! Aiya. Just go there and order it okay? Haha.


Har cheong gai. Too oily for my liking. Maybe it would be better if we didn't ate it so quickly. I had an instant sore throat following it.


I wouldn't really use my life to endorse this place. Yes, there are dishes that are really good. But, I don't think that I would want to wait that long and travel that far just to have that few dishes that are really nice. It's somewhere tucked in the middle of Tiong Bahru. Plus, it's not as cheap as most of the zi char places you can find around. But of course, it's way better than most of the cheap cheap zi char stalls you find around Singapore. I have to say, even though it's not too difficult to find nice and cheap zi char stalls, it's equally easy to find a lousy or a mediocre one. Don't waste your calories on them!

Address: 69 Seng Poh Lane #01-02

No comments:

Post a Comment